10.31.2014

Pumpkin Pie for Halloween

It's raining here today which doesn't bode well for the little ones heading out tonight to Trick or Treat.


Around here October and November mean Thanksgiving, pumpkin pie and my family's tolerance to my nesting.  I love to hunker down after being outside in those perfect and not so perfect weather days of autumn.  My favourite time of year.  It also means a shift in my baking to indulge in the seasonal offerings of apples, pumpkins and squash.

Here is my go-to Pumpkin Pie recipe, tweaked out of a combination of a few recipes I've tried over the years.  Yield is 2 pies.  I use Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee for the crust or when in a rush pick up 2 frozen deep dish frozen pie crusts from the grocer.  This recipe is quick to pull together, easy and oh so delish.

Don's Favourite Pumpkin Pie

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 heaping tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cloves (I use 1)
3 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups milk (I use 1%)
3-1/4 cups pumpkin puree
(2-1/2 cups pumpkin if using prepared shells that aren't deep dish)

Brush pie shells with beaten egg.  Combine all dry ingredients and mix together.  Add all wet ingredients and whisk together by hand until smooth.  Pour into pie shells.
Bake at 400F for 20 minutes
then reduce heat and bake for an additional
35-39 minutes at 350F
Pie filling should crack open around the
edge to be  baked through to the centre.
Cool and then let set up in refidgerator.
Delicious on it's own or served with fresh whipped cream,
vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt.  
  
Wishing you all a very Happy Halloween.  Live, love and laugh much.  Hug those you love.  Renee  

1 comment:

Claudia Bugh said...

Oh Renee that is such an awesome shot of Ava!!! And your pie looks and sounds amazing thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I love all your recent posts it's so nice to have you back sharing with us!!!

Popular Posts