12.19.2008

Christmas Baking Recipe #3


Lemon Cake is great for any season and is my only not-made-from-scratch recipe. This cake has been a staple in my baking repertoire for over 25 years. Brand names are really important ~ I've substituted other cake mixes and pudding brands ~ it's the Duncan Hines and Jello together that result in the best taste and texture. These instructions are not the ones printed on the cake box ~ but they should be!

LEMON PUDDING CAKE:

1 Duncan Hines Super Moist (Extra Moist) Lemon Cake Mix (used to be called Supreme)
1 Jello Brand Instant Lemon Pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup Mazola Oil (you can substitute vegetable oil if you want)

Combine all of the ingredients in a mixer on low for 1 minute, then on high for an additional 2 minutes.
Bake in a lightly sprayed spring form Bundt pan (so the centre bakes done or it stays wet). It doesn't always bake through in the centre in a sheet pan but does make nice cup cakes.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 46 - 50 minutes or until the cake top cracks open and a cake tester comes out clean.

ICING options:
1. Leave it plain.
2. Sifting icing sugar over the top of the completely cooled cake.
3. Make icing by combining icing sugar and lemon juice. Make it thick so it will drizzle off a spoon over the top and sides of the completely cooled cake.


Mom's lace scarf is about 20" long now unblocked and there will be a knitting frenzy this weekend to complete it. I used fingering instead of lace weight so it's growing quickly. It's so nice that another skein or 2 of my sock yarn will be knit in this pattern again.


There's a fun Christmas Carol Quiz on Teresa's Knitting The Blues. Give it a try, I scored 90%. Do You Know Your Christmas Carols? Test

We're in the midst of our 2nd major snow storm today. It just keeps coming down and has started to drift with another blizzard expected on Sunday. I have some new books to keep me company during this storm: It Itches from Franklin Habit as recommended to read by Norma, Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders and I've pre-ordered Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush. I plan to curl up with them and my knitting this afternoon. It Itches is hysterically funny and the perfect stocking stuffer for a knitter, I have yet to have a chance to check out the One Skein Wonders. Be well and hope everyone is enjoying this holiday season. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

ETA: Ryan wanted to me add that Lemon Pudding Cake is his all-time favourite cake EVER! I've also made this recipe by using Duncan Hines Chocolate Devil's Food Cake mix and Jello Brand Instant Chocolate pudding mix. It is the best chocolate cake ever too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to ask you for this recipe - thanks for sharing on your blog! Hope you are staying warm and enjoying the snow storm. The scarf I'm working on right now is from 101 One Skein Wonders - it's a great book! Oops! I received it as a Christmas present and I really shouldn't have opened it yet, let alone already started on a project from it! Shhh.

Philigry said...

you enjoy too! that cake looks so pretty. wow. i want a piece right now!
have fun with the knitting books! sounds like so much fun.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your lemon cake looks heavenly! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

I can tell by the title that "it itches" will be a funny book - makes me laugh to think about it!

BTW, I listened to my Martina McBride CD and I luv it! Thanks so much for recommending it :)

Enjoy being curled up with your books!

t does wool said...

luscious lemon cake-I still need to get you that recipe...I am going to find it this weekend :),
enjoy the books...and knitting.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing...now I have one more thing to add the baking list this weekend since we all love lemon :). Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I was reading your blog and came upon the lemon cake recipe. My mom used to make the exact same cake except it was made in a flat pan and when taken from the oven, holes were poked all over it and a very runny mixture of lemon juice and confectioner's sugar was poured over the top. I think we ate it warm. That was a long time ago so it's hard to remember. Thanks for the memory, Judy

Popular Posts